The Joel Test for 2017
Date: March 23, 2017
The Joel Test:
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?
A lot of changed since then. I created updated version for 2017.
The Joel Test for 2017:
- Do you fulfill all 12 requirements from The Joel Test?
- Do you have unit tests?
- Do you have integration tests?
- Are you doing Code Reviews?
- Do you have Continuous Integration?
- Do you have Continuous Delivery?
- Can you deploy new version every day?
- Is every area of "project specific expertise" covered by at least 2 people?
- Can you setup developer environment automatically?
- Can every developer run full test suite in less than 1 hour (locally or remotely)?
- Do you have telemetry and logging to reproduce users' behavior?
- Are you making decisions based on data?
What is missing? Let me know in comments!