Installing Mac OS X in VMWare Workstation on Windows 8
I created Mac OS X Virtual Machine on VMWare. It wasn't simple process, so I decided to share this experience. I was following this article. Here is an outline:
- Download and install VMWare Workstation. But to do that, you need to disable Hyper-V first.
- Download VMWare unlocker and run windows/install.cmd script. It allows to choose Mac OS X system during VM creation later on.
- Convert Mac OS X image (Mountain Lion in my case) from .dmg to .iso (using dmg2img).
- Create VM for Mac OS X and choose created Mac OS X .iso file in new VM settings -> hardware -> CD/DVD (SATA) -> Use ISO image file
- Run Virtual Machine and install Mac OS X (described in mentioned article).
- Install VMWare tools (also described in mentioned article).
Once Mac OS X is installed and running I updated Mountain Lion to Mavericks. That was easy and went smoothly. Additionally I recommend to do following:
- Enable shared folders (they are located in /Volumes/VMWare Shared Folders/NAME_OF_FOLDER)
- Install TotalFinder
- Install iTerm 2
- Install Witch
- Install SublimeText 3
- Install Xcode (not only for iOS development, it contains e.g. gcc compiler)